Ernie Fritz is a producer/director/editor of TV programming, documentaries and Web content.
He is also an accomplished videographer and interviewer.
Recently, Ernie completed co-producing and editing a feature-length documentary film featuring Sean Penn. Dirty Hands Caravan is a chronicle of the actor leading three bio-diesel buses with 150 college- age volunteers across the country from the Coachella Music Festival to the Lower 9th Ward of New Orleans in effort to foster volunteerism and “encourage individuals to take individual action.”
In 2006–2008, Ernie produced and co-directed the feature-length documentary about the legendary rock club CBGB’s – Burning Down The House which premiered at the 2009 Tribeca film Festival.
Prior to that, Ernie had finished directing two seasons (2007 – 2006) of Real Simple for WGBH / PBS. In the Fall / Summer 2005 Ernie directed the HGTV series Handmade Modern with Todd Oldham, and in the fall 2004 /winter 2005, 10 episodes of All Around with Katie Brown for A&E TV.
Ernie also directed and produced various television projects; Tony Bennett – The Art of Romance, Jeff Buckley – The Grace Sessions and the documentary, Dave Mathews Band –Live in Central Park. In 2003, Ernie was the lead editor for WNET / American Masters Joni Mitchell – Woman of Heart and Mind. In 2001, Ernie directed and edited a concert special featuring Pink Floyd front-man Roger Waters; In The Flesh – Live.
Prior to this he was the director of two and half seasons of the daily “Martha Stewart Living television program (CBS) for which he was a two-time EMMY nominee for best director. Concurrently, he was directing projects for Columbia Records such as Tony Bennett Sings Ellington and for Warner TV – Mentor and the Hip Hop Owls , a children’s, Christmas special.
Previously Ernie directed and edited multi-camera, long-form projects such as Billy Joel Greatest Hits III (Sony Music Video) and for PBS – Kodo – The Drummers of Japan – with Mickey Hart and The Doobie Brothers – The Wildlife Concert. Additionally Ernie directed television concerts for the Disney Channel – Michael Bolton – Going Home and NYC95, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. In 1997, Ernie was also the recipient of an EMMY Award for Outstanding Documentary Editing for his work at City Life, WNET/13 – NY.
In 1995, Ernie directed, edited and photographed Blood Brothers an 85-min. documentary chronicling the reunion of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. In January of 1997, Blood Brothers was nominated for a GRAMMY award. Also in 1995, he directed, photographed and interviewed profile pieces for Natalie Merchant, Jeff Buckley and Julio Iglesias.
Prior to his active film career, Ernie worked in News Radio at WMCA / NY (1980–1986) as a news producer of the morning show (5AM-10AM) hosted by Ralph Howard and Bill Ryan. He also produced and booked programs for such talk celebrities such as Bob Grant, Barry Gray, Barry Farber and Candy Jones.
Ernie has also directed and edited numerous music videos for such artist as OZZY OSBOURNE, JEFF BUCKLEY, THE INDIGO GIRLS, TONY BENNETT with SHAWN COLVIN, BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN, ZHANE´, SOPHIE HAWKINS, ERMA FRANKLIN, MINI MAXI & EFTI, THE ORDINAIRES and TITO NIEVES.
Ernie grew up in Rome, Italy and began his career there as an assistant editor on feature films and documentaries. He later attended the San Francisco Art Institute and then, N.Y.U. / Tisch School of the Arts where he subsequently taught film directing, editing and producing as an adjunct professor.
Founder Swiss Effects 1985
Design and production TV station signs, animation films, special effects and postproduction for documentary and feature films.
- Monsoon Wedding, Mira Nair, USA, best film Venice.
- Almost two Brothers, Lucia Murat, Brazil, F: Rio de Janeiro, best Latin American
- Fay Grim, Hal Hartley, USA , F: Berlin and Sundance
- The Kids stays in the Picture, Nanette Burstein and Brett Morgan USA, F: Cannes
- Dopo Mezzanotte, Davide Ferrari, Italy, F: Berlin
- War Photographer, Christian Frei, Switzerland, Oscar Nomination
- La Quimera de los Heroes, David Rosenfeld Argentina, F: Venice
- Optimisti, Goran Paskaljevic, Serbia, F: Toronto
- Letters to Ali, Clara Law, Australia, F: Venice and Toronto
- The scar, Pablo Lorca, Spain
- Journée à la Campagne, Raoul Ruiz, France, F: Montreal / Lima critics 1st price
- Fauteuil, Missa Hébié, Burkina Faso, 13ème écran noirs
- Memoria del Saqueo, Fernando Solanas, Argentina, F: Berlin Goldener Ehrenbär
- Gambling Gods and LSD, Peter Mettler, CH and Canada, 1st price Vision du Réel
- Julien Donkey Boy. Harmony Korine, USA, Venice
Recent production of Animation Short-Films:
- DER KLEINE VOGEL UND DAS BLATT, 2012, Lena von Döhren, Berlinale, Verona, Animafest Zagreb, Bristol Encounters, Nantucket, Hiroshima, Seoul, Stuttgart, KROK, Sapporo, Curtas Vila do Condo, Verona, Buster, LIAF, TIFF, Discovery and more…
- AU COEUR DE L’HIVER, 2012, Isabelle Favez, Hiroshima, Anima Mundi, Bristol Encounters, Fantoche, Telluride, KROK, Femina Brazil, Children Isfahan, HAFF Holland, Nomination Quartz, Fantoche, Animafest Zagreb, BKFF Brazil and more…
- AMOURETTE, 2009, Maja Gehrig, Anima Mundi, Fantoche, Seoul, Animest and ….
- VALISE, 2009, F: Annecy, Fantoche, Leipzig, Animateka Ljubljana, and more…
- TARTE AUX POMMES, 2006, Zagreb special mention, Hiroshima special price,
- Cinéma tout écran best Swiss Short, Riga best film for adults, Tehran International silver price for second best film, Zürcher Filmpreis, Animest and many others…
Postproduction Feature Film, among many others:
- Scanner Darkly, Richard Linklater, USA, F: Cannes
- Waking Life, Richard Linklater, USA F: Venice, Ottawa
- Titeuf, Zep, F / CH
Jan Daube is the co-founder and director of Wham Bam Productions, Ltd., a production company for films, commercials, and music videos. Wham Bam’s most recent clients include film companies, such as Hopscotch Films, where he helped create a 3D monster for their short film, as well as being a Producer and on-‐set VFX Supervisor for veteran director John Irvin on his latest feature about Nelson Mandela, which will be screened at Cannes this year. Other major clients include University College London, House of Fraser and Toshiba, and most recently, Wham Bam has been retained to finish Maya Jane Coles’ latest music videos. Jan previously studied at the prestigious Escape Studios, where he honed his skills as a talented VFX artist, and also holds a Masters degree from the London Film School. He has a BA in Music and Visual Art from the University of Brighton. Jan’s diverse influences flow into his passion for filmmaking, creating his unique style in visual storytelling. Jan is bi-lingual, speaking German and English fluently, and has previously worked for the German broadcast channels ARD and ZDF. Most recently, he also worked as a co-‐producer for the feature film The Ninth Cloud, and is producing two features this year.
Kat Moon is a co-‐founder and producer at Wham Bam Productions Ltd., a production company for films, commercials, and music videos. Wham Bam’s most recent clients include film companies, such as Hopscotch Films, where we are creating a 3D monster for their short film, as well as working with veteran director John Irvin on his latest feature about Nelson Mandela – both of which will be screened in Cannes this year. Other major clients include University College London, House of Fraser and Toshiba, and most recently, Wham Bam has been retained to finish Maya Jane Coles’ latest music videos. Kat works mainly as a Producer, and, in addition to being a co-‐producer on the film The Ninth Cloud, she is producing two feature films this year, one a documentary about a chef and the other a science fiction thriller. She has a masters from the London Film School in writing & directing, as well as a masters from the University of Westminster in screenwriting & producing. She also has a BA in both Economics and Broadcast Journalism from New York University. In the past, Kat has produced and directed a few award-‐winning short films, and was a winner and finalist for the Kodak Commercial Awards and the David Porsche Awards in Germany.